Sunday, January 8, 2017

A Cautionary Tale: Empire Broadcasting Group, Basket of Grifters?

 A Cautionary Tale: Empire Broadcasting Group, Basket of Grifters?


OK, this post is a bit off topic, but I think it's important to share.

On the 13th of Dec. 2016, I received a call from Eleanor, stating she worked for Empire Radio, which was actually incorrect, the “station” is called Empire Broadcasting Group, (a typo in her script, maybe),  she left me a message. I returned it the next day. Just to backtrack a bit, I did look-up Empire Radio, which does seem to exist.

Eleanor returned my call and we spoke on the 15th of December. She stated that the producers of the online radio station were interested in Tummy Love and my story. What led me to the work I do now? They felt it would inspire others, if my story was shared in an eight minutes interview. Eleanor did state if all went well with the interview and the producers liked my delivery, story etc., I’d be asked to return for a 30 minutes spot, at a cost. She claimed Empire Radio had millions of listeners all over the world. Still thinking it was FLO Empire Radio (there's an actual Empire Radio out there too) and not Empire Broadcasting Group, I thought that was feasible.

Fast forward to my scheduled interview date 1/06/2017. I was interviewed by Michael David. Other than a black sesame seed from my oatmeal making me cough,  the interview went by pretty quickly and pretty smoothly. I had written out a short script to keep myself on point, I tend to think by association and can get off topic rather quickly. Knowing I had only eight minutes, I wanted to keep it clean and focused. I’d even prepared a special offer for the first 15 listeners that joined my email list to receive a free bottle of my Full-Tummy Massage Oil, and, if there was enough time, a short guided meditation for less anxiety and better digestion. The two are very much connected, anxiety and digestion.

As the interview came to a close, I did manage to slip in the massage oil offer, but not the meditation…”Oh well, that’s show biz…”, I thought to myself. After the interview, Michael David asked me to reply to their last email, stating how the interview went. “Do I get some kind of survey?”, I asked. “No, just reply to the last email.” Weird...however, I did reply with a “Thanks for the opportunity!”

Minutes later, I got a phone call from Ken Bennett, one of the “executive producers”. He claimed he heard the interview, loved it and positive responses were already coming in from their listeners. He would love to have me back again for three 30 minutes spots. Which I could design as a Q&A with callers or just a straight interview with Muriel Donnely. This Muriel Donnely, from what Ken described, is a well-known TV personality who brings the best out of guests on her show.
Ken was full of praise for my delivery of the interview and even joked about coming to Detroit for lunch or massage, on me.I guess when he felt he’d done enough fluffing, which included telling me that a press release would go out to NBC, ABC, CBS and all social media outlets; the cost for all the work they’re doing for me, would usually be $8,000. BUT this week and ending this week, only, they’re charging $1,500 for three 30 minutes spots on their station.

Within 10 seconds he whittled the special offer down to one 30 minutes spot for $600. He also said don’t take my words as a hard sell, take it as “enthusiasm” because he knows how many people have been helped growing their businesses because of these interviews, in the past. Also claiming they have 225,000 Twitter followers. Of course, I must decide now and he’d transfer me to the payment department (or something to that effect). When I told him, I’m not making a decision right now because, I want to think about the offer and perform some Due Diligence on his company. He abruptly said, “okthankyouKeely” and hung-up. Well, that told me a lot. Scammers? Grifters playing the long game? Or could it be more like a fake till you make it kinda deal?

Anyone getting calls from Empire Broadcasting Group beware! In the meantime, I’ve got 15 bottles of Full-Tummy Massage Oil up for grabs.

Here’s a few things I discovered with a little research on the correct company:
-EmpireBroadcastingGroup.com was created Nov. 2, 2016.(Whois.net).
-They have 56,000 Twitter followers instead of 225,000. Much of their posts seem to be click bait. Joined Nov. 2016
-Most of the photos on their website look like stock photos.
-Couldn’t find video interviews with Muriel Donnely or Donnelly in view.
-Terrible graphic design
-When you’re asked to reply to the email about how the interview went, that reply is entered under Testimonials on their website.
-Lastly, I have yet to hear from any "listeners" via phone call, email or any other social media outlets.

42 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post! I just got a call from them too and am scheduled to have an interview. I'm going to use a recording device on my interview and then just post it to my own website for free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My website is http://www.cityheadshots.com, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you're very welcome! I'm glad you found my post and got a heads-up. If they have the same formula, your interview will appear on their site for a week or two then be taken down. I recorded my interview from their site with all the fake applause and other bells and whistles. Not sure how I'm going to use it...may just post the transcript in my bio. Great shots btw! Will keep you in mind when shopping for new head shots.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for the info and I'd love to have the opportunity to work with you sometime!

      Delete
  3. Yes, they tried to get me to do this as well. Starting a call with "this is not a sales call," is basically a way to let you know that this is, in fact, a sales call. Add to that the rapid-fire script recitation and, bingo! It's a scam!

    This number is one to watch out for: 631-257-5599

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You're absolutely right about the "This is not a sales call."...Stephanie! I'm glad this post is useful for others wanting to get some insight on these guys. Thanks for adding a phone number, more validation. It seems they're targeting entrepreneurs with small businesses...hmmm.

      Delete
  4. Haha yeah! I got almost exactly the same numbers and names quoted to me except they "normally" do $2000/show, but they're offering $1000/show. I said I'm not interested and got "thankyoubye[click]"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart woman! Wow, it seems I had the Xmas sale offer ;-)

      Delete
  5. Thank you! I just got the call from 631-257-5734 for a "free" interview, as if anyone would pay to be interviewed! I won't waste my time calling back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got a call from them and I don't plan on calling them back! Thank you for posting this! I don't trust anyone in advertising except for one of my clients that I organize for And she has never tried to sell me advertising. Lol! Thank you for helping us not waste our time with a "free interview"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Angelina.
      Turning lemons into lemonade :-)

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I just received a call from them and something made me uneasy so I looked them up to find your warning. I will now cancel the appointment and mark accordingly.

    I'm also glad I did a search a few pages down on Google as Empire has pushed your post down to page 2 by posting more recent information.

    I'd like to suggest that you rename this important advise "ABOUT Tummy Love" and increase the SEO to at least try to move to the first search page on Google"

    Thank you again for letting us know about this business scam.
    CB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome CB! I think, my post has gone a bit higher in the searches. I couldn't even find it about 2 months ago.
      Happy to give a heads-up,
      Keely

      Delete
  8. thank you for letting me know, I am always cautious when the conversation says this is not a sales pitch, before I do this I did research and found you, so thankful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Lisa. We have to stick together. :-)

      Delete
  9. I'm a hypnotist and they've been calling me too. I've blown them off based on gut instinct. Having some tv shows appearances under my belt I know the real deal and this is a total scam. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to reinforce your gut instinct, Monica!

      Delete
  10. Is this the same group as "Empire Radio Now"? I got a call today that seemed eerily similar to what you described...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to guess, yes, Erin. If it walks like a duck...

      Delete
    2. Yes it is the same group. Compare the websites. Also see my posts at the bottom of this page. These guys have been doing this for many years under different business names.

      Delete
  11. I just got the sales call also after my interview. It was just like you described in your article above. Fortunately, I declined. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My memory comes in handy, most of the time. You're welcome!

      Delete
  12. Exactly the same experience! Being a "producer" for Empire Radio is another job I'm glad I don't have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, swindling people for a living probably can't be that healthy, on any level.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for The heads up! My daughter was 'interviewed' about her business, and got the same spiel. Glad you confirmed my suspicion before she gave them any $$!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had the same call today! Declined the interview and blocked the caller. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Keely, thank you for posting this. Like the others, I was suspicious after getting the call (the salesperson left a voicemail so luckily I didn't have to speak with anyone; she wanted to "do a radio interview about your new day spa in Miami") and your post came up when I googled the phone # they called me from (thanks to Stephanie and Pat for posting the #s!). I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and warn others. Thanks and have a wonderful day!

    Cheers,
    Anastasia Yecke Gude, LMT
    www.healing-hands.us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Anastasia! It's the old turning lemons into lemonade story.
      Have a great weekend!
      Keely

      Delete
  16. I just got a call from them and googled to find out what their deal was. Glad I'm not going to waste my time. They must do a good business if they have telemarketers, etc. I hope more people find this page.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been getting phone calls from them for many months but I never answer them. They are the reincarnation of the Women's Radio Network (WRNW1). Exact same mode of operating, same structure, same everything. Run away as fast as possible. Do your own research on WRNW1. The guy behind this has a criminal past but is very slick. He lives somewhere on Long Island and keeps reinventing his scam under different names. He tried to coat tail on legitimate radio stations by using a name similar to theirs. This helps confuse people who try to research them and many fall for it. I fell hook line and sinker in 2014-15, lost over $3500 to these skanks until I finally figured out what was going on. The message I got today is proof these Empire folks are connected to the original WRNW1 scam. They sold me a commercial which of course no one really heard because they had almost no listeners. Ken Bennett left me a message claiming to have heard my previous commercial and wanted to get me into their network. I'm sure he would love to, but not a chance in hell. Been there, done that. Naive at one time, laughing my ass off at them trying again. STAY AWAY FROM THIS CREW - THEY ARE A JOKE AND LIARS LOOKING TO SEPARATE YOU FROM YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here is the blog entry from 3 years ago that explains what the other group was up to.

    http://goffgrafix.com/blog/2014/03/spotlite-radio-scam/

    Sound familiar?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Here is another one, this time as WRNW1.

    http://religionnews.com/2015/08/14/womens-radio-network-a-total-scam-authors-should-avoid/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the additional information and sharing your experience!

      Delete
  20. I did my interview today and got the same call! Adam told me how my rating was an 8 and how amazing my interview was! I asked if he heard it and he said No..so I said how do you know how well it went? And he said "That's a good question" and then stumbled on some made up answer until he got back to his script. He told me how he doesn't get a commission because he is the executive producer and he does this because he wants people to be successful. Hard sell for sure. I got out with my wallet in tact. He wanted 2500 for 10 segments and then down to $1000 for 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you avoided the scam. They make up the rating. There are probably no listeners, or very few. The people who have fallen for it might be listening but that is usually it.

      Delete
    2. Good for you, Cheryl! I'd suggest getting a personal recording of the interview and using it yourself for promoting. Minus the Broadcasting part.

      Delete
  21. Wow wish I had found your post sooner! Same exact thing just happened to me, same people same scam same abrupt goodbye. What a load of crap!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Got their call today to set up an interview next week. Same thing, not a sales call, just trying to promote small businesses. On their website I see many interviews posted in the past few days. I am thinking too many and I would just get "lost" in the crowd. I told her I had not heard of them. I asked who listened to this. She said we are on a site "similar" to Pandora and have many listeners. Sounded suspicious. Glad I found these postings. Will not waste my time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear this post was helpful, Chuck.
      Keely

      Delete